Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

Wow! life sure does get busy sometimes. I've barely had time to turn around lately. Oh well maybe I can get back into a "normal" routine this week. Which brings me to today's post. do you have 15 min a month? Well then you can make your own laundry soap. It's cheap, works great, and lasts a month! (and I wash a lot) Give it a try it's fun :)


What you need: Bar of soap, borax, washing soda, essential oil (optional) ,grater, and a 5 gal. bucket


Any kind of soap will work. I've used a variety of brands and the only difference is how they set up. You will need to grate the soap to make little curls. I like to leave part of the paper on so the soap doesn't get slick and hard to hold. ( yes, I have notoriously "clammy" hands)


It will look like this. Now get 4 cups of water simmering, not boiling because when you add the soap it will get too foamy and bubbly and bubble right over your pot. Not that I know from experience though :D



Now add the soap curls a little at a time and stir until they are melted. Then add more. DO NOT add them all at once or you will have a big glob of soap that will take forever to melt :) After it is all added you will have a nice looking pot of soap soup :)



 Now remove from heat and add 1 c. washing soda, 1/2 c. borax, and essential oil of choice. mixing until it is all dissolved. 


Put 3 gal. of warm water in your bucket and add your soap mix, making sure to stir well. Please excuse the 1970's green tub, we're currently saving for a bathroom remodel :)


Just add a lid, let it set for 24 hr. Although I have used it right away before be cause I was out, and laundry was up to the ceiling:)


The next day it will look like a solid bucket of soap jello. Just give it a good stir and it is ready to use. It will be liquid and kinda lumpy. That's normal, all the soap chunks break apart in the wash. Now put it in an old container and use 1 c. per load. The cap on my container holds 1/2 c. so I just fill it up twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment